Saturday, April 9, 2011

Choices

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  Ministers (& their families) don't always like to go to church.  Upon signing up to be a minister's wife almost 11 years ago, this was a small fact I somehow had missed.  I realized shortly into our marriage that I was going to have to get to go church every time the doors were open.  Growing up, our family was a mostly "Sunday morning" only family.  Not until I was I a teenager did I start going on Sunday nights.  And not until I was out of college did I start going regularly on Wednesday nights.  But not ALL the time, mind you.  On those pretty days I could still go on a picnic.  On rainy days I could still sleep in.  But whether or not it's actually in the church by-laws, it's one of those unwritten rules.  "Ministers shall always be at church with smiles on & pleasant attitudes in tow."

For me, today was one of those days.  At about 7 A.M., I realized that the "Prayer Walk" at church (that I had signed up to participate in) interferred with a 5K (that I had been looking forward to for about a month).  Decisions, decisions....  Minister's wife=at church when the doors are open.  Despite Jason, telling me I really did have a choice, I felt I had no choice.  So I had to tell one of my BFFs that she would have to run the race alone & tell my God that I was mad at Him & I didn't want to go to this stupid prayer walk (shocking, I know)!

Guess what?!  Despite the fact that I remained mad & grumpy for about the first 30 minutes of the event (sorry Jason, mom, Patsy, Leslie, Polly & anybody else that tried to talk to me), I had a great time.  I got to spend some time with 2 church members that aren't in my circle of friends & I got to pray for a few dozen families in my community.  We invited some to church & didn't get egg thrown at us by a guy that clearly thinks that the wind blows on its own.

So for me, I guess it's a good thing I "get" to go church every time the doors open.  I know that (most of the time) I'm glad I do.  Here's a little challenge for you this Easter season:  pretend you're a minister.  Pretend you HAVE to be at church for every service, meeting, etc.  I just bet that God will bless you, too.

Brownsville Baptist Church

2 comments:

  1. I understand completely - I was a preacher's kid - I don't remember ever being able to miss Sunday (2times) and Weds and then revivals, etc. etc. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

    Thinking about you during this transition. Love you!

    Hugs,

    Glenlda

    ReplyDelete